Monday, September 19, 2011

09.03.2011 "7 Months ... What??" (posted by rebecca)

Dear Everyone,

Hello everyone, how has your week been? Things have been going well here. They are continuing to progress as normal. We got the car again this week, which is always nice to have. It's been pretty hot the last few days, so I'm glad to have it! I went on a trade-off this last Tuesday to South Haven. That was fun getting to spend another day in South Haven. I was with a missionary named Elder Dixon, and he's a really good guy. We were able to teach several people there and two of them are getting baptized today, which is great! I'm happy that the work is going so well there.

Though we struggle a little at times, we can see the blessings of the Lord in this work. He is definitely guiding us and helping us to find people and teach them. Here is a story that I included in my email to President Hess this week:

"I had an experience earlier this week that I wanted to tell you about. Earlier on in the week I was having a rough time for a couple days. I know that the adversary has been trying to discourage me. I had been praying for help to know what to do, yet I was still struggling and I didn't understand why. As I was thinking about these things one day, the Spirit brought a story from the scriptures to my mind. It was the story of Nephi and Laman and Lemuel in 1 Nephi chapter two. I remembered that it was right after they had all left Jerusalem, and they were all struggling to some degree. But what particularly came to my mind was the way that they reacted to their problems. Laman and Lemuel murmured and complained against their father and what he had been commanded to do, because they "knew not the dealings of that God who had created them". Nephi, on the other hand, desired to know the mysteries of God, and so he prayed that the Lord would soften his heart. Because of this, he was comforted and given strength. I remembered also that later on in 1 Nephi 15, Laman and Lemuel told Nephi that they did not understand the words of their father, to which Nephi replied, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?" They answered that they had not. As I thought about these two stories, I realized that I needed to be more like Nephi in the way that I was reacting to the situations I was in. After that I did what Nephi did and prayed that the Lord would soften my heart, and as I did He did visit me. This was a powerful experience for me and has helped me to better understand how I need to respond to all my struggles and afflictions. I know that the Lord loves us and looks out for us individually. I have seen many answers to prayers and I've seen a lot of growth in myself. I've started to see more clearly how much I do rely on the Lord and how I can't do this on my own. I know He will always be there for me to lift me up, and I that his angels are around about me as He has promised."

Doctrine and Covenants 84:88
"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

I hope that you all have a great week. Thanks for everything that you do for me. Keep the people we teach in your prayers. If Stephen and Heather and Megan are starting school again this next week like the kids here, good luck!!

Love,
Elder Trevor Casper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome