Saturday, February 25, 2012

02.13.2012 "Mid Transfer Already! I Llove St. Johns"

Dear Everyone,

Hopefully you're all having a good February so far! We finally got a bit of snow here, but it should be gone again by the end of the week. Still, we've been walking around a bit over the last week without the car and I'll probably walk a few more miles tomorrow. Happy Valentines day, everyone!

This week was a pretty good week. As always, it was pretty busy and pretty eventful. Elder Ballard and I spent a lot of time the last few days doing whats called our Weekly Planning. We sit down and basically talk about all our investigators and the different aspects of the work and we plan out who we need to visit and what we'll teach and everything else. It normally just takes a few hours, but we haven't been able to finish the last few weeks so we're behind. Now that we've had some time to catch up, it should help us a lot. Doing that planning each week is pretty important. I feel like I know much better now what's going on and what we need to do next, instead of living in a state of last minute plans and constantly wondering if I'm forgetting something.

We weren't able to visit as many people this last week because a few of our investigators were either busy or out of town. It was still a good week though. This next week we have a Zone Conference, which we only have every three months. That should be pretty good. I'm excited for it. It's always good to hear from President Hess too and see what he has to say. 

I'm low on time but here is a paragraph from my letter to President Hess about someone that we've been teaching for the last few weeks:

Our top investigator right now is probably Bob Fifield. As I told you in my last email, he's the 67 year-old nephew of a less-active member. He is a nice guy. We had seen him a number of times before at the less-active member's home that he's been staying in, but he always turned down an invitation to participate in the discussion. But if he was in the room he would stay and listen. He doesn't hear or see very well and he has a speech impediment that makes him difficult to understand. He surprised us one week by showing up to church. We talked to him and found out that he's wanting to make some changes in his life. He's been coming to church ever since, except last week when he apparently had a fall on the ice and had to go to the hospital. He is eager to learn, and though we have to teach very simply and slowly he's making progress. We have a baptismal date with him for March 4th, which we confirmed with the branch council yesterday.We found that using the Gospel Art book and the videos is very helpful in helping him understand. We're currently meeting with him about two or three times a week to help him progress towards that date. 

Bob is fine, by the way. He is just a little sore from his fall but is doing about the same as he was before.

I know that the Lord is in this work and that he's helping us to be able to accomplish what we couldn't do on our own. I love the scriptures and, these last few months I've learned so much, I can't even begin to explain it all. I am so thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and his gospel that shows us the way to access the power of it for ourselves. I really know that Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father love us and are always mindful of us.

My mission is just flying by so far! I'm so glad I still have a year left. Talk to you all later!

Love, 
Elder Trevor Casper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome