Monday, February 27, 2012

02.27.2012 "Last Week of Transfers -- We'll See what Happens."

Dear Everyone,

This week has been a busy week, and there has been a lot going on. It's been a good week here though. Winter is continuing it's pattern of melting a couple days after we finally get some snow. We got probably six or seven inches of snow last week, but this Thursday is apparently going to be 50 degrees. Oh well. At least it makes it so that we can bike around instead of just walking. Not that it stopped us today anyway; we rode our bikes to the library. As long as the roads are clear, we always prefer biking to walking. It's about four times as fast and saves a ton of time during the day. Saturday we walked a total of about two and a half hours. It would have been about four or five, but we managed to get rides from a few different members here. Even a ride just two or three miles across Dewitt saves us a lot of time. It was really nice of them. Also Saturday, we had dinner at a member's house and her husband made us jerk chicken. My mouth was burning afterwards and I couldn't taste anything for a little while, but I loved it. That was some of the best chicken I've had in a long time. 

Well, transfers have come up really fast again. Transfer calls come this Friday. It's looking more likely at this point that I'll be leaving, since I've been here for about six months now and Elder Ballard's only been here for three. But, we'll see what happens. If I do get transferred, I have no idea where I'm going to go. However, if anyone ever wants to send me anything but they're not sure where I'll be, they can always count on the mission office address below:

Elder Trevor Casper
Michigan Lansing Mission
1400 Abbott Rd. Suite #310
East Lansing, MI 48823

Any letters will automatically be forwarded to wherever I currently am. However, unless packages are shipped through priority mail, the mission office cannot forward the packages to me, and I will not be able to get them until transfers or zone conferences, which could mean a delay of a month or two. If you're shipping packages, the best bet is to ship either directly to my current apartment address or use priority mail (perhaps flat rate) shipping to either the office or to my current address. Normally my current address is fine, because priority mail only takes 3-5 days.

We had a trade off again last Wednesday, which is always fun. I've especially enjoyed my trade-offs with my current district leader, Elder Collins. I actually was in the MTC with him and we were in the same district and came out together. He's a good guy, and works hard to be a good missionary. It was a pretty good day and a fun trade off. We worked hard and were able to teach a few people. On our way home for the night, we hadn't had dinner yet so we bought a couple pizzas at a place called Hungry Howie's. It's a notch above Little Ceasars, and is pretty inexpensive but actually has pretty good pizza with free flavored crusts. We both ate a ton and were pretty stuffed at the end. We played some card games after planning that night right before we went to bed and got to talk a little about how everyone we know in the mission is doing. It was a nice night.  

Things were a little crazy yesterday after church. Bob Fifield is an investigator we've been teaching who is currently planning on being baptized this next Sunday. However, yesterday he was taken to the hospital and may have suffered a stroke. He was showing one or two positive signs, so we don't know for sure. We're praying for him and are anxiously awaiting any news to hear how he is doing. He seemed like for the most part he was doing okay yesterday morning when he was at sacrament meeting, although he wasn't feeling well. The signs that could indicate a stroke started early that morning, so at least it hadn't been too long before he made it to the hospital. I haven't had too much experience with strokes so I don't know what to expect. Keep him in your prayers as well. He's a good guy, and we've enjoyed teaching him. It's been so great seeing how he's changed even in just the past few weeks as he's been learning more about the Gospel, Plan of Salvation, and the commandments.  

We were also able to meet with Gale again this last week. She is still waiting for her large print triple that she ordered to come in (it is or was on back order), but we managed to find a copy to let her borrow in the meantime. She's been reading more in the Book of Mormon and is at about Alma 40 right now. She asks the best questions I have ever heard an investigator ask in my entire mission. I love it! I enjoy talking to her about the scriptures more and answering her questions than probably just about anyone else I've ever been in a lesson with, member or non-member. We talked in detail about the Spirit World, Resurrection, and Three Degrees of Glory. We can teach these doctrines pretty thoroughly (of course staying scripturally based) with her because she actually understands it and it helps her put everything together in her mind.  She applies the scriptures very well to her own life and situation. Hopefully we'll be able to see her this week as well sometime. 

We were able to teach about 17 lessons this last week, which we're pretty happy about. The Lord is blessing us here and it's been a good week. We feel like we've really been able to help a lot of people come closer to Jesus Christ, and that's part of our purpose.  

Hope you're all having a good end of February. Have a great week! I'll tell you all what  happens with transfers.

Love,
Elder Trevor Casper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome